Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Reptile and Amphibian Birthday Celebration

We recently celebrated my son's 5th birthday with a Reptile and Amphibian Themed Celebration. Ever since his preschool class adopted a turtle as a class pet, my son has been fascinated by reptiles. Since I was not willing to grant his request for a slimy pet of his own, I decided that a Reptile and Amphibian themed party was the next best thing!

I had the pleasure of working with Amanda of Lil' Sprout Greetings on all of the printable designs for the party, including the party invitation and welcoming sign.


Upon arrival, guests were welcomed, given a safari hat and binoculars, and sent on a reptile safari. It was amazing how many snakes and lizards they found crawling around!


I wanted to keep the snack table simple with healthy options (other than the cookies and cake), and in theme with the party. I created a safari-like backdrop of leaves and vines and used the coordinating printables that were created by Lil' Sprout Greetings. Snacks included Gecko Grapes, Python Pretzels, Alligator Apples, and Turtle Trail Mix. I also created frog-topped, chocolate dipped Oreo cookies and a reptile safari cake (don't judge me too harshly...this was my first attempt covering a cake with fondant).


The highlight of the party was a live, hands on reptile show which was led by a Wildlife Educator from a local company called Reptiles Alive. The children were able to view and touch live reptiles (turtles, lizards, frogs, and yes....snakes!) while the educator shared fun facts about each animal. The kids loved it!

Images: Reptiles Alive!

The birthday boy even got to help hold the reptiles and pass them around for his friends to touch. Better him than me! He was so happy, as you can see!

We had a great time celebrating my little man's big day!

7 comments:

  1. oooo love everything, minus the "REAL" snakes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So super cute! I love that backdrop! So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What neat party activities--with safari hats, binoculars, and real reptiles! And all the "leaf-y" accents (love the backdrop) make such a great scene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and decided to follow! LOVE the leaf/snake cake. When you have a chance, feel free to check out my blog too :) http://www.the-not-so-desperate-chef-wife.com/

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how wonderful! I'm a big one for themed birthday parties, always at-home parties, BTW. So, as a veteran party maker for my own son for 9 years I know the time and effort, heart and hard work it took to pull off your wonderful party. I'm sure our kids will appreciate it (if not now, one day).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are the green frogs on top of the oreos made from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can u please explain how u made the leafs.. Excellent job everything is amazing 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete